The checklist below is written for library staff working with authors to draft a new open textbook.
In the Draft stage of an open textbook project, you’ll need to:
- Understand textbook structure.
- Understand textbook elements.
- Understand textbook chapter elements.
- Work with authors to develop their final textbook structure.
- Understand the writing process.
- Understand writing roles.
- Understand best practices for writing an open textbook.
- Work with writers to keep their textbook diverse and inclusive by including a range of perspectives.
- Be mindful of ethnocentrism.
- Work with authors to apply inclusive and bias-free language guidelines to their writing.
- Work with authors to find Creative Commons images and multimedia to use and adapt.
- Work with authors to develop copyright best practice for images and multimedia.
- Learn how to add images and multimedia in Pressbooks.
- Learn about options for embedding media in Pressbooks.
- Learn what plugins are available for Pressbooks.
- Work with authors to determine if content is open, public domain or requires permission.
- Communicate to authors how to get help with copyright checking.
Adapted from ‘Checklist’ in Authoring Open Textbooks by Melissa Falldin and Karen Lauritsen licensed under a CC BY 4.0 licence.